In My Bag

0 Comments
I've had a few of you ask what is in my camera bag and how do I utilize the lenses that I own.

My purchases have been slow and methodical...and not without some mistakes along the way.
However, I've come to love a select few "tools" that I wouldn't want to live without and I'm happy to share my thoughts with you!

First off is my camera bag!

It's a Kelly Moore and I LOVE IT! 
Every photographer needs a bag...it's just a must...and this is my "must-have" bag!

I started off with a backpack, which was comfortable and held all my equipment.  However, I had to take it off in order to switch lenses. In a middle of a session, that is really cumbersome to do because you have "stop the action" in order to fiddle with the bag.  

Then I decided that I'd just sew my own bag...which I did (because I'm nuts!)  It worked great for awhile, but it just wasn't sturdy enough and eventually broke down after a few months.  

I was on the search for something durable, something my husband wouldn't feel silly carrying every once in awhile and something that would be efficient to use.

That's when I discovered the Kelly Moore bag...




It holds all the lenses that I could possibly need in a session, along with my wallet, glasses, a water bottle, phone, keys, business cards...there is even a place for a tablet or laptop (that I sometimes just put in the reflector if I think I'll need it)


This leads me to my GEAR!

I have a lot of lenses...not exhaustive, mind you...but, I find that there is a specific use for each of them as it pertains to my style and the "job" that I have created.

First off is the SIGMA ART 50/1.4

In the past I have always purchased Nikon...however, Sigma came out with an ART series that just blows Canon & Nikon out of the water with regards to speed and clarity.  This lens is the one on my camera probably 75% of the time during sessions or at home with my kids. With my full frame camera, I am able to get most of the shots that I want with this lens.  It is versatile and has beautiful bokeh.

USED FOR: family shots, close ups, basically EVERYTHING!



Next on the list is the SIGMA ART 35/1.4

This is typically the next lens I pick up during a family session.  It affords me the ability to get a wide angle view to include the setting.  It is also a GREAT help when I'm in a tight spot or when I'm standing overtop of little ones (being 5'4", I can only be so far from someone on my tiptoes).  My only caution with this one is to be careful when you are super close to a subject as it can cause distortion.

USED FOR: Getting in tight spots with little room, large family shots, including setting or landscapes



NIKON 85/1.4

This one is my baby!  It has a special place in my heart because it produces the most beautiful bokeh in the world!  I love it!  I use it pretty exclusively for portraits. There is something about the 85mm...although the before mentioned lenses all have the same f-stop capabilities, the compression in the 85 just makes for buttery backgrounds that are to die for!

USED FOR: portraits or whenever I want that really creamy background (I just have to watch my depth of field with regards to focus)



NIKON 70-200/2.8
This lens is big and bulky and SUPER HEAVY!  However, I couldn't do without it!  It use this mostly with my own family...soccer games, or when I just want to sneak up on my kiddos without them knowing that I'm getting them in the action.  I use this also for event photography, when I don't have a lot of options of moving in close.  The large focal range is amazing and the bokeh and sharpness is wonderful.  I will use back button focus on this especially during action shots and I'm always pleased with the results!


NIKON 24-70/2.8

This was the first "BIG" lens that I ever purchased.  It has a wide angle and it zooms fairly close at 70.  It can be used in lower light situations and it was my workhorse lens for a longggg time before I became a "prime lens girl".  This is the lens that I will use to teach my daughters.  I don't really carry this one in my bag any longer, as I love to utilize all the different possibilities that the primes offer me. However, it was a great lens starting off and learning the focal ranges at which I typically shot.



NIKON SB600 

This flash is old, old, old, but I love it.  It does just what I need it to do and has never let me down.  I only use it directly when I used to shoot weddings.  Now, I use it to bounce light when doing event photography or when I'm indoors in the winter and have little light available to me.  I couldn't live without an external flash, as it helps me bring the "natural" back into an image, when I don't have the "natural" light that I need. 




You may also like

No comments: