Black and White Editing

0 Comments

So, why do I edit in black and white and not include the color in my galleries in some instances?

This has to do with some philosophy, some "seeing life through the lens" and definitely some "editing".  

If you've come to a Click It Class (or be watching because I'm working on recording videos to hopefully offer soon for purchase) you'll know how to make that "perfect" black and white edit...

but WHY?  

do you do it just to match a living room color scheme...or perhaps because the colors in the photos don't match anything else?

or is there another reason?  a deeper reason, when you use photography to tell the "story of your life" like I attempt to do?

I strive for vibrant, vivid, colorful, happy, and bright photos...because I photograph families...which children...and lord knows there is lots of HAPPY and COLORFUL when we start talking KIDS!

But, I recently asked my Snapshop Grads to help describe my photography in 3 words...though many had to do with the 2 dimensional image with regards to "art" and the "Look" of it...there were numerous suggestions pointing to emotion, meaning and relationship caught...

There is definitely something to, seeing "life through the lens"...and definitely an art and an eye needed to compose the image in a way that frames it to showcase the moment in it's best light...

but an extra "magic" happens in the post-processing...

Here are a few things that I run through while I'm determining my finishing touches for my gallery images...

1. Does the back or foreground cause any distraction away from the "meaning, moment or happy" of this image?

2. Is there a strong emotion being conveyed that would become more powerful if I removed the color?

3. Are there imperfections that attract your eye in color that otherwise wouldn't be an issue if changed to black and white?



Let me see if I can explain with some examples:
With this one, #1 reason was my biggest for changing this to black and white.  See that house in the background?  and the bright grass...it's not "bad" persay in color, but I wanted the focus to be on their faces...to "hear" the giggle in the youngest's little mouth...


With this one...we all have our imperfections that irritate us...I think it's most difficult for a photographer to convince subjects that they are beautiful...everyone sees their own imperfections...and unless an incredible editing overhaul happens that ends up changing the "moment" you are left feeling like the focus in on the faults...  In this case, this little ginger headed girl and her gorgeous mom were giggling and laughing on a humid day...and so hair was all over the place...I could have sat down and edited each strand...but the REAL of this moment was the hug, the embrace, the smiles...

By changing to black and white, the focus is off the imperfections, even if they are still there...but then comes the realization that even WITH imperfections, we are beautiful! 


lastly, this image demonstrates my reason #2: These images were taken within seconds of each other...I love matching/coordinating clothes for families and smiles at the camera are wonderful...but by taking away the color, I was able to catch a strong connection that otherwise wouldn't have been so evident or poignant...



All in all, there aren't any fast held-to rules for editing in black and white...and photography IS an ART...and therefore, it's subject to the likes and dislikes of the people viewing the end products...Our job as storytellers and photographers is to "write" the narrative in the most memorable, emotion-provoking, REAL and raw way that we can...so that it's not just a "pretty picture" hanging on the wall, but a narrative about a life worthy of showcasing!




You may also like

No comments: