6 changes to STRENGTHEN an image

0 Comments
I take pictures...

I take pictures a lot...

I take a lot of pictures...

They aren't all perfect...I don't have a secret formula or equation that I plug into my brain or camera and it automatically spits out the exact picture I'm envisioning...

Along with knowing your equipiment and having some basic rules for composition, I think there are some other "helpful tips" that come into play when you are really working for quality imagery...

In this little installment of {Teach It Tuesday} I want to share with you 6 changes that you can make in order to strengthen a photo...

Here is the first photo:

1. SHOOTING ANGLE:  My goal was to capture the essence of this little girl...So I got her all comfy on the bridge and we were chatting and laughing and I'm sure I had something I was trying to balance on my head and it kept falling off to make her giggle... I was above her, but I wasn't honing in on what was most important...there wasn't depth to the image...so I started to inch forward...

2. APERTURE: for the first image, I had my aperture fairly wide, but at my distance and what I was putting in the background, it wasn't really making a difference. I either needed to correct my angle so that more background would blur OR I had to come even closer...I chose the latter...

3. FILL THE FRAME: I decided to get even closer to her so that the background became a complete blur...this helps with depth of field, it also allows me to zoom in on the personality points that I'm trying to capture.

4. WAITING: this is the hard part...she wasn't looking at me and she was almost being shy...that isn't WHO she is...I'm just a stranger and she had to warm up to me...and so I waited and talked some more and laughed and helped her feel comfortable...

5. LIGHT: When the sun is getting low, and I"m right on top of my subject, lighting can sometimes be an issue...I had to determine which way the remaining light was falling (directional light) and I sort of "circled" her so that once she finally looked up, I was able to capture that laugh, which light on her face, bokeh and personality just pouring out of her!

6. PROCESSING: This is where I take the time to correct the things that I didn't have time to adjust whilst working with under 4 year olds!  White Balance is sometimes one of those issues. I also take time to pop my images with adjustment layers in photoshop such as levels, contrast, and curves.

Here is the final image after changes:




You may also like

No comments: